Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Trying to get myself ready for classes to Begin. I think this was a productive start before my morning run. Funny how breakfast makes you think of funny things. Anyway, i've been watching my diet a lot lately, so i wrote a poem about the process from the perspective of spelt,

spelt

Spelt is an ancient grain that traces its heritage back long before many wheat hybrids. Many of its benefits come from the fact that it offers a broader spectrum of nutrients compared to many of its more inbred cousins in the wheat family. It can be used in many of the same ways as wheat including bread and pasta making. Spelt does not seem to cause sensitivities in many people who are intolerant of wheat. Native to southern Europe, where it's been used for millenniums, spelt is an ancient CEREAL GRAIN that has a mellow nutty flavor. The easily digestible spelt has a slightly higher protein content than WHEAT and can be tolerated by those with wheat allergies. Spelt flour, available in health-food stores, can be substituted for wheat flour in baked goods.

(okay, now that i've given you the background, here's the poem)



How the Spelt Felt

I awoke from the most confusing dream
Found that I had lost my mind
And for once, I felt how free I am
No longer spiritually confined
No longer wounded, hurt, or damaged
I’m not a tortured, aching soul
No longer frantic, pained, romantic
Suffering to fill in those holes

Those knowledge gaps, consuming
Once fueled, occupied my brain
The source of my confusion
Source of hatred, fear, and pain
That blinded me, gave me delusions
To wrestle with, battle, console
That forced me to finally acknowledge
That there are things I can’t control

An optical, neural illusion,
Fabricated in my head
That filled me with anticipation
Stirring hope or fears to dread
I kept finding myself anxious
I Feared I was losing my mind
Decided then, to change my focus
To keep my mental health aligned

I began to do some research
Found the secret to my health
Was to discard all these notions
Of my ego, mind and self
I began to change my diet
Be more mindful of what I take in
Not just physically, but the people
The thoughts I kept, embraced, let in

Because in every little atom
Every fiber of my being
I’m recording, then reflecting
Every influence, fragment, thing
I surround myself in, Take in
Process, learn, then manifest
So I must choose to watch more carefully
What my body, mind ingests

Because at every minute center
I attract, absorb, through holes
That permeate me, make me healthy
Fuel me, Fill me, Make me whole
As if I were a vibrant living thing
Longing to tap into the earth
Absorbing nutrients,
that feed, rejuvenate
Fulfills my life, with light, joy, worth


-phiG*

0 comments:


BBC World Service | Home