Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Creative Streak



... so immediately after i wrote that post i ran into a good friend of mine on my way to drum class. it was a good reminder for me to lighten up. i've been avoiding airing out that issue b/c i don't want to fuel any negativity. i've been a bit resentful because i'm used to being the activist and catalyst for change on other issues and not the catalyst for negativity instead. lately, i've just been challenged with the fact that i have just been sitting around.... waiting for things to change... waiting for people who have the power but not the initiative to make it. it makes me feel so powerless. the drumming helped. after i got back and made dinner (from donated veggies from catering... that had been canned) i finally checked my fb inbox and stumbled across this:



“I believe that the very purpose of life is to be happy. From the very core of our being, we desire contentment. In my own limited experience I have found that the more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being. Cultivating a close, warmhearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at ease. It helps remove whatever fears or insecurities we may have and gives us the strength to cope with any obstacles we encounter. It is the principal source of success in life. Since we are not solely material creatures, it is a mistake to place all our hopes for happiness on external development alone. The key is to develop inner peace.” - His Holiness the Dalai Lama


I should be focusing on what I can do, instead of what others can't. Because a lot of people have done more to help me in these past few weeks than some have been able to do in their lifetimes for other people.... I'll try to keep that in mind when I and where I choose to focus my attention. I also find inspiration from Thich Nhat Hanh and Swajimi Paramahamsa Nithyananda. Don't ask me to pronounce that. Anyway, I'm making a list of things that I enjoy that keep me centered and I'll be sure to include them in my next post. In the meantime I'm just going to try and stay very present. I made an incredible tofutti alfredo, with apple cider vinegar and vegetable stock powder... also my boss told me that I looked very creative today. I think it was a compliment. Perhaps I need to put some of that creativity to better use.

0 comments:


BBC World Service | Home